Last updated on February 5, 2020
Vista no longer uses ActiveSync but now has something called Windows Mobile Device Centre. As much as I tried I could get my TyTN to connect but not to sync.
Having searched around for a solution, I found a firmware upgrade on the Leaf website and despite being very cautious of the possibility of killing my new phone I decided to go ahead.
My TyTN came with ROM version 18.104.22.168 and this upgrade was to 22.214.171.124 (AKU3).
The only confusing matter was that there were a number of files and no instructions – I finally worked out that the correct exe was called RUU_Inside.exe which puts the TyTN into BootLoader mode and carries out the upgrade.
I did this connected to an XP machine – I’m not sure if it would work with Vista but I wasn’t going to try. However, despite having a newly flashed TyTN it still wouldn’t sync.
Much more searching I found that Windows Update was offering me an update to WMDC and following a failed update I resorted to removing WMDC completely, downloading the latest version from the Microsoft site and reinstalling. This seemed to do the trick – and may well have worked without the flash upgrade. Certianly if I was in the same position again – that’s what I would try first.
So, after 24hrs of having my TyTN I finally have it sync’d with my calendar and address book, and can get back to something more productive.